Thursday, May 26, 2011

Matthew 7:12

The scripture verse that I am teaching my daughter this week is Matthew 7:12 or as some may call it the Golden Rule.  "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and Prophets" 


I think I tend to get this backwards a lot of times - I think that if that is how people treat me, that must be how they want to be treated. Do you ever do that?


For example, I think if somebody doesn't acknowledge me when I see them somewhere, then they must not want to talk to me - so I say nothing.


Or, if somebody keeps refusing invitations to my house or to "hang out" with me or my family then they must not want to spend time with us, so I should just leave them alone.


This isn't what the scripture says though, it says to do to others what you want them to do to You!  I have been stressing this to Lilly this week.  It doesn't mean they will treat you the way you want to be treated, but at least you will be doing what Jesus tells us to do. 

So, I need to acknowledge that person I know walking down the street, be bold and have conversations with people I want to get to know better, invite others over, and share Jesus' love with others even when it seems like they don't "deserve" it.


We never know somebody's situation and why they are the way they are...I love the way this song reminds us of that...

No comments:

Post a Comment