Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Imagination

Before I had my daughter, I would go to other people's houses and play with their children.  I never liked it when a 4 or 5 year old child would come up with this "new" game to play and want me to join in.  I would try to understand the "rules" and follow them, but they always got frustrated because I wasn't doing what they were asking and I would get frustrated because I didn't understand what they wanted.  It always ended badly.

When I had Lilly and she started to develop an imagination, I felt bad that I didn't enjoy it more.  This is my own daughter, how come I don't love to play pretend games with her.

I love that my daughter has an imagination.  She is very creative in the games, songs, and stories she comes up with.  When she was younger she had several imaginary friends.  One of her favorite games to play is a game I bought when I was teaching where you add onto somebody else's story.  She thinks it is the best game ever, but it is not my favorite. 

I see moms who are great at playing pretend with their children and I wish that I could be like them, but I know that it isn't my gift.  I wish it were, but I know I need to be content with the gifts God has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment