Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Are You Sure, God?


I had been praying and searching for some way to be involved with the chapel on base. Each time I prayed, I was led to think about the high school youth program. I kept saying it couldn't be right because I was an elementary school teacher and I didn't "do" high school kids. Plus it met on Tuesdays which was the same night as my taiko drum class. This was my first lesson in listening and obeying what God has called me to do. HE lined things up so that I would have no excuse but to go and do what HE asked.

First, I have to tell you that I loved playing taiko drums. It was one of those things that I looked forward to each week, but some conflicts/drama started in the group which caused me to not enjoy it so much. Also, I started to hear the meaning behind some of the songs in a new light. As you're probably aware, most Japanese people are not Christians, so a lot of the songs were written to praise one of their gods. Being a new Christian, this was a little disturbing to me, so I stopped going to the class. Now my Tuesday nights were free to go where God wanted me to go.

Can you believe after that, I was still reluctant to go help out with the youth? I didn't want to go alone, so I told God that if my husband agreed to go with me then I would do it. I was so sure this was going to be my way out because I was positive that Mark would not want to go with me. To my surprise, Mark said sure. I was shocked! So, I had to go - no more excuses.

Mark and I ended up helping out with the Crosspoint youth for about a year. We learned so much in the process - probably more than the students did. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment