Sunday, January 20, 2013

Experiences

When I was younger, I remember talking to people about certain events happening in their life and I would just kind of nod my head as if I understood.  I'm sure during some of those conversations I probably gave my input on what I think I would do in that circumstance or how I will handle it if that ever happens to me.  Honestly, I don't remember any of my responses, but I do know that I never fully understood until I went through the situation myself.

Examples of these experiences:

Being married to a military man

Experiencing a deployment

Moving and living overseas

Having a baby

Having a c-section

Raising a child

Buying a house

Experiencing infertility

Having a husband who travels a lot for his job


I know people who have never experienced these can be kind and offer advice (just as I did), but I think that until you actually experience it you never truly understand. 

Of course, I know there are many things that I haven't experienced that others have and so I am learning to be more careful with the words I share in these situations.  I want to be encouraging and helpful, but I now know that unless I have been through it myself, I just won't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment