Wednesday, February 2, 2011

We Are Not Guaranteed Tomorrow

We are not guaranteed tomorrow! 

 I know this in my head because I've read it in the Bible before, but sometimes it takes action before you realize something is true.   Recently, my brother's girlfriend's father passed away.  It was sudden and not expected, so it took everybody by surprise.  I didn't know the man, but I know Crystal and she is such a sweet person.  Her family is still grieving and dealing with the loss. 

This news hit me hard because I thought "What if that were my dad?"  My father and my 2 younger siblings do not have much of a relationship - they hardly every talk.  I don't think anything specific has happened to cause the distance, but it is there.  The same is true for my husband and his mother.  They hardly ever talk either.  I just picture myself in any of their places and it brings tears to my eyes.  They probably follow each other on Facebook, but is that enough for them?  Is that the kind of relationship you should have with your children or your parents? 

I cannot imagine going days without talking to my daughter to find out how she is doing.  I know I am not in their position and I don't know all the hurt and circumstances behind the distance but I just ask them all to picture yourself in a position like Crystal and you suddenly lose the other - how will you feel?  Will you have regrets? Will you be sad?  Will there be something you wished you have said?

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how it feels. I lost my mother 4 years ago... nearly 5 actually... And the pain of losing someone close is far greater than you can even imagine... I had many many regrets, but I have learned through that to live like there will be no tomorrow... so there will never be regrets. It is very important, because you are right; none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete