Monday, October 1, 2012

We As Parents

In Feb. 2008, God blessed us with an amazing gift - our daughter.  As her parents we are called to do what we think is best for our children, right?  The problem is that sometimes what one parent sees as best for their child is totally different from what another parent views as best.  This has been a struggle for me ever since I found out I was pregnant. 

We never put Lilly in our bedroom.  From day one she slept in her room, in her crib.  It worked for us.  I know many moms who co-slept with their child - it worked for them. 

At 5 months, we did the "cry it out" method with Lilly.  For about a week, we let her cry herself to sleep.  It was hard for that week, but afterwards it was one of the best things ever because we could lay her down in her crib awake and she could put herself to sleep.  I know some moms who would never do this and see it as cruel, but like I said - it worked for us.

We do not let our daughter dress up or participate in anything related to halloween.  It is a personal conviction of ours - one we feel very strongly about.  It is what we feel is best for our family.  I know many people who have no problem with it - that works for their family.

We have decided to home school Lilly.  I know many parents who feel strongly about sending their child to school so they can be a light to others. 

For Christmas, we celebrate Jesus' birth but do not have Santa come to our house.  It works for our family and we can focus on serving and giving to others rather than receiving.

Does that mean our way was wrong and their way was right? Or that our way was right and their way was right? I don't believe so, but there still seems to be tension when you have a different method of doing something.  On my part, I need to remember that most parents are doing what they see best for their children and just because it is different from the way we do things does not necessarily make it wrong.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment